Mt St John’s School was founded in 1924 by the Presentation Sisters, under the patronage of St John the Evangelist. The school was opened on the 17th April 1924. It was essentially a primary school with a small boarding school attached. Over several years the school and convent were expanded and a new wing for boarders was built in 1938. A new weatherboard school building was erected in 1951, which was used by the school until 2011 when it was replaced with funding through the Building the Education Revolution. A further addition was added in 1985 which still remains. The most noticeable feature of the convent was the statue of St John the Evangelist holding a chalice with his hand raised in blessing that stood in the front garden and still stands at the front of the school today.
In 1980 the Presentation Sisters were forced to leave due to declining numbers and the Sisters of Mercy from Grafton took over for a short time. In 1990 the Presentation Sisters returned and until recently, Sister Mary lived and worked within our Parish in Dorrigo.
Today Mt St John’s continues the great tradition of Catholic Education in Australia housed in a beautiful setting with all the amenities to cater for education in the 21st century.